Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hermit Crabs & Coconuts

For me one of the most exciting things is to go out and explore nature, get my hands dirty and find cool things to shoot with my macro lens. Macro is a whole other world of photography.

While I was in Fiji, I always found myself wandering around the beach looking for any little tiny creature or plant to shoot. There was this one spot on the beach teaming with tiny life. At times like that, I get out my 100mm macro and start shooting.

One thing I always try to do when shooting with a macro lens is to find interesting angles. Angles that people wouldn’t normally view the subject with. The hermit crabs were my favorite to shoot, and I’d always try to shoot them lying down on the beach, most people see them from above and miss all the little details about them.


Also, I find that something may not be interesting when looking at it from your normal view, but when you look at it from a different angle it can be a completely different picture. Like these coconuts, they were all over the beach, and not that interesting. But when I got down on the ground they suddenly became something I wanted to shoot.


This is my favorite macro shot from Fiji. I found this log that was submerged underwater during high tide and exposed the rest of the day. There were all these little creatures attached to it.  I loved the contrast in colours and the sparkle of the water.






No comments:

Post a Comment